A book I devoured: My review of Unexpected Dismounts: A Novel (The Reluctant Prophet Series)




Publisher: David C. Cook; New edition (October 1, 2011)

Nancy Rue continues the story of modern prophet Allison Chamberlain in this second book of "The Reluctant Prophet" series. Allison is continuing to learn to hear God's voice and to obey his nudges, something that isn't always as clear as she would like. When she hears God telling her to "wash their feet" she at first resists and thinks she must be hearing wrong. However, God has some surprising moments in store for Allison as she continues to learn to trust God and his leading, whether with her care of former prostitutes, her relationship with fellow Harley rider, Chief, or her plans to adopt Desmond, the boy left in her care by his now-deceased mother.

I enjoyed Unexpected Dismounts as much as I did the first book in the series. There were moments that made me smile and laugh, moments that left me feeling challenged in my faith, moments that made me think a tear was about to emerge! The characters continued to grow in their personal journeys, and I loved being able to follow their journies, especially Allison's unique one. Some added suspense in this book, some legal drama,  and a few twists I didn't see coming left me devouring the pages. The series just keeps getting better and better, and I cannot wait for the third and final book in the series.

I highly recommend this book and give it 5 out of 5 stars. Those readers who enjoyed the first book in this series will want to add this one to their Christmas wishlist.

An egalley of this book was provided by the publisher via netgalley for the purposes of this unbiased review.

Comments